|The story of The Kennel Club of Pasadena begins in 1908 with Anita Baldwin, daughter of E.J. "Lucky" Baldwin, the gold baron. A resident of Sierra Madre and an avid fancier of Bulldogs and Airedales, Anita envisioned for the west a dog club of the stature of the Westminster Club in the east. Around 1918, Dr. Frank Porter Miller, M.D. moved his family to Sierra Madre and became interested in Airedales and the club. He, Ms. Baldwin and MR. Frank Foster Davis, and associate of theirs, were instrumental in developing the club as we know it today. First called the "Crown City Kennel Club," The Kennel Club of Pasadena is considered to be the oldest all-breed show giving dog club west of the Rockies.
Anita Baldwin c. 1915 Courtesy of the Arcadia
Arcadia Public Library
Dr. Frank Porter Miller, shown here on October 6, 1957 with Kennel Club of Pasadena Best in Show winner English Bulldog, Champion Banshee of Beechlyn and handler Porter Washington. Dr. Miller was the Best in Show judge for this show.
|Dr. Miller was our first president and he continued in a leadership role in the KCP until his death. His wife, Edith, was also very active in the organization and his daughter, Virginia Blankenhorn, continued the tradition of membership and also became a president of the DCP. Many of the traditions of the club continue to reflect the influence of the founders and a scholarship in Dr. and Mrs. Miller’s name is given each year to a veterinary student from the San Gabriel Valley attending the University of California at Davis.